Monday 17 April 2023

Abundance



When I reflect on my early twenties, those post-graduation years, where everyone says ‘the world is your oyster.’ There was an abundance of lots of things. Friendships were everywhere. There was an abundance of activity. An evening in was a guilt-inducing rarity. 


When I reflect on my late twenties and early thirties, there was an abundance of opportunity. Creative ventures, fulfilling work, and the financial security that came with career progression. There was also an abundance of new experiences as I completed my first Marathon, saw U2 live, and bought my first house. 


Here is the interesting thing though, I do not quickly or easily remember the abundance of those seasons. As I battled to pay back student loans and make my first grown-up purchases, I remember the scarcity of money and the excitement of finding a yellow ‘reduced’ sticker on a favourite product. Later, as numerous friends married and had children, I easily remember the sting of singleness and the barren scarcity of an unfulfilled desire. 


I think my point is exactly that though. We are hard-wired to have an acute awareness of our lack. Whether that is a lot of month left at the end of the money, a house too quiet, or a lonely drive to another wedding. Our scarcity saddens or scares us, and we are more aware of the danger of these circumstances. It takes attention to notice the delightful abundance of a room of friends sharing a simple bowl of pasta. The thrill of crossing the finish line in under 4 hours. Laughing for hours with a good friend because in every season there is an abundance of laughter.


I think that may be where I want this idea to end up though that every season has an abundance of something good. Learning to pay attention to the abundance within our circumstances is perhaps the point of each season. And if you really can't think of anything good, buy some M and Ms. There's an abundance of them in every pack!


Comment below what there is an abundance of in your life currently.


No comments:

Post a Comment